From the archives

 

The Bird

This wooden bird was made by Soviet prisoners of war in Oldenburg-Kreyenbrück, Germany, during the summer of 1944. The prisoners traded it for bread with a German guard, who was detained in 1945-1946 by American troops. In 1992, this former German soldier gave the fugure to the International Red Cross amd Red Crescent Museum.

Collection of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent
Museum, Geneva, Switzerland

Back to Magazine
Homepage

 

Top

Contact Us

Credits

Webmaster

2007 

Copyright